The prenatal appointment went well yesterday. Eliza is doing fine. It did take the nurse 4 tries to find her heartbeat though, which totally freaked me out. But she insisted everything sounded good once she did find it.
Turns out that the super sharp pain I had was probably just a pulled muscle. And I’m not dilated or effaced at all.
There are three midwives that I am seeing. The one I saw yesterday is my least favorite because she’s always talking about breaking my water and inducing. And being the consistent person she is, she once again brought up my option for induction because of the long commute and the fact that this is my fourth and could be an extremely short labor.
I was a bit shocked at myself but this time, I actually thought she had a point. The only part of Eliza’s arrival I’ve been anxious about is the logistics of her birth. I’m not worried about being up all night or all the little ways that my life will be more difficult. But I am worried about labor starting in the evening, when it would be too late to call my mom to make the 3.5 hour drive. I do not want her driving that far in the dark when she is tired. And if she isn’t here to watch the three kids, we would have to ask one of neighbors, which I just hate the idea of. I absolutely dislike inconveniencing people. Besides, my neighbors have jobs. It’s not like they can call in sick because they have to watch my kids while I’m at the hospital. So, we’d have to take the kids with us. Not ideal.
And so induction next Tuesday or Wednesday started sounding pretty good. I would get cervidil, which would start labor and possibly not require anything more. But there is a chance I would need pitocin, to which Caleb had a bad reaction. His heart rate kept dropping and after three tries they gave up. This is partly why my labor with him lasted so long (36.5 hours). Although, every kid is different and so that might not be so horrible with Eliza.
I was feeling very torn and wishing that this was an easier process. If Aetna would just pay for the hospital that is 5 minutes away from us, I wouldn’t be stressing about this at all. But thank goodness, Shane actually had an opinion about the matter. He doesn’t feel comfortable with the induction. Based on how badly things went with Caleb (medical intervention) and how well things went with the girls (minimal intervention), he thinks my body doesn’t like to be told what to do and it would be best to let nature runs its course. It was surprisingly easy for me to let go of the induction idea after he told me this. I was so happy to not have to make the decision on my own.
We’ll just have to be flexible and positive with the possibility of having to wake the kids up in the middle of night and taking them with us.
By the way, it’s 3:38am and I’ve been up for an hour because the toilet made a random loud noise and woke me up and then I remembered that Caleb didn’t eat his yogurt at school and I forgot to put it in the refrigerator when he got home (it would have been okay cause it started off frozen) and so it’s still in his bag and now I have to throw it away. And that was enough to keep me from going to sleep. Ugh.