My dear friend Heidi asked me to make a baby blanket for her nephew Joaquin. And thank goodness she did because it was just the thing that I needed to get me out of the funk I’ve been in for weeks now.
This was a great project because it wasn’t too difficult, but I had to learn some new things. Such as, how to embroider on minky, which involved sticky stabilizer (on the bottom) and soluble stabilizer (on the top).
And then sewing minky to cotton was surprisingly tricky. Maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised. But I was. The first go was a disaster and ripping out all the seams was not fun.
Yup, that’s right, even though I knew, after the first side, that things were going wrong, I still continued to sew the second side. And even then, when the minky had stretched a good 2 inches beyond the cotton, still I plugged on.
Need less to say, by the time I got all the way around, it was a disaster.
After a little more research, I discovered that the secret is not to use a walking foot, but to use about a zillion pins, placed every inch or so. After that, it was easy.
So, this blanket for Charlotte was my test blanket. I’ll be finishing Jaoquin’s blanket this weekend.