When Shane and I got married, I thought it was a great idea to start a New Year’s goal journal. Every year we would right down some goals and at the end of the year we would right down our accomplishments. I thought it would be an interesting way to track how we grow and change.
But Shane wasn’t interested.
Until seven years later that is. That was last New Year’s that he said he thought it was a great idea.
But at that point, I wasn’t interested. Maybe it was because I was so annoyed that it took him seven years to like the idea or maybe it was because I wasn’t all that excited about my goals at the time. After all, the biggest thing on my mind a year ago, was how in the heck I’d find the time and motivation to pass the CPA exam. It would have been a great goal to add to the book, but I think I knew deep down that I couldn’t put Caleb aside long enough to regain all that knowledge I needed to pass.
But this year, I feel a little more motivated and excited to finally start our Family New Year’s Goal book. I think it’ll be even better with Caleb. We won’t write goals for him, but we can write down his accomplishments. Maybe when he gets a little older he will get a little excited about coming up with goals and then feeling so proud when, at the end of the year, he has accomplished them.
So, here are my goals for 2009…
1. Read more books
- The Story of the World, Parts 1, 2 and 3 (Susan Wise Bauer)
- Don Quixote (Miguel De Cervantes)
- The Pilgrim’s Progress (John Bunyan)
- Gulliver’s Travels (Jonathan Swift)
- Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austin)
- Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens)
- Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
- The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)
- The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova)
- The Good German (Joseph Kanon)
2. Finish all unfinished knitting projects
- Rowan Intrigue sweater (Book 36)
- Rowan Petersburg cardigan vest (Book 42)
- Habu Nanako jacket (kit 67)
- Debbie Bliss Check and Cross Stitch Jacket (Special Knits)
- Blue striped child’s sweater (my design)
3. Save up enough money to buy a serger
4. Finish Rosetta Stone Latin course
5. Finish Caleb’s baby book