I wasn’t here for the first few hours of work because I went to the library for my volunteer hours. When I got back home, my dad showed me what he had found. Another drain! He also thought that maybe the drainage system continued along the other side of the house. This drain cover looks all nice and pretty, but it was covered with plastic and 3-4″ of rock and dirt!
We moved all of the top layer (river rocks and dirt) and the black plastic. Here are some of the roots that I dug up.
Before we removed all of the plastic, my dad explained to me that the ground shouldn’t be built up so high. It should be no higher than 4″ below the floor of my house. In other words, we should be able to see 4″ of foundation here. And you see none.
After we removed the plastic, we had easy access to the entire pipe (along the back of the house anyway), which likely will need to be changed… somehow. But we need to figure out exactly what’s going on before we know how it needs to be changed.
Here’s the pile of rocks and dirt that we removed. My dad will built a screen and we’ll need to separate the rocks out. Eventually we’ll relay some plastic and cover it with just rock, no dirt.
We spent a good bit of time snaking the pipe and mostly got it opened up. But keep in mind, I’m just talking about the section that runs along the back of my house. This is how it looks with the rock/dirt layer and plastic removed…
Towards the end of the day, my dad dug around looking for a continuing pipe along the other side of my house. Thankfully, there is none. So we’re thinking that what needs to be done if to lift of the end of the line so the whole thing drains out to the street. But my dad only does things meticulously proper. So that will involve grading and precision down to the 1/16th.
Here’s the end of the line. Can’t remember at which point I took this. Every moment seems to be blending into each other. It’s hard to believe that this all started with a simple plan to clear out the swamp, which should have taken only 1 day.
After we got the pipe along the back of the house cleared, we started working on the swamp. We had to remove the drain basin to get a clear shot down the line. The drain connection in the swamp involved the wrong sized connectors and plumbing tape. We also ran into another clog at the Y-connector (at the bottom of the terrace), so we started to dig that up.
And here’s what I had for lunch, a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Because they’re not just for pregnant ladies.